Do You Need To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Lima?
In various ways, smart devices like surveillance systems and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We are able to receive alerts whenever a visitor walks up to our front door, and we can even have footage sent to us when questionable activity is detected. Having components we can access over the internet advises us to developing threats instantly. But there is one main downside. The simple access we enjoy is also creating a pathway for hackers.
While you shouldn’t lose sleep worrying about smart home hacking in Lima, you should be aware of the potential danger and take steps to steer clear of it.
How To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
It would seem that nearly everything is linked to the internet these days - home security devices, televisions, and even your everday appliances like ovens and fridges. This also generates more pathways for hackers to sneak into your network. Even so, you don’t need to eschew wireless home security systems or other smart devices. Rather, consider these tips and do your part to keep invaders out of your network.
- Use hard-to-guess passwords: This is a must for any account, and that includes your wireless configuration. Use uppercase and lowercase and a blend of letters, numbers, and acceptable special characters. Avoid dates of birth, street names, or other things hackers might easily guess. A password generator will provide something absolutely random and a password management tool can aid you in keeping tabs on your many accounts and passwords.
- Update default settings: When hooking up that new router, it’s likely to come with a preprogrammed password to facilitate the setup. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers are likely to know these default settings as well. Setting up your private network and new router correctly from day one is critical in maintaining your security.
- Create a separate network: Why put your smart oven, your security sensors, and the laptop you use for work on one network? The majority of routers permit you to initiate a different guest network. Make use of it and shield important material found on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for businesses. They can also be used on personal network. Firewalls can pay close attention to what’s happening on your network and thwart questionable activity. You could start with a router that offers an integrated firewall.
- Use the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you’re using a recently manufactured router, you might be able to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You need to look for home security devices that use 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Be certain firmware and software is updated: Keep your software and firmware up to date for all devices, which includes your networked surveillance units. Many times, these updates will address known issues and improve your network’s security.
Be Wary of Lower Quality Smart Home Equipment In Lima
Name brands like ADT and Amazon have their reputation to uphold and are more likely to remedy a security flaw in their devices. Other off-the-shelf options might not be so conscientious. Purchasing your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and additional items from a lone source like ADT makes sense. And deciding to have all of your equipment connected at once will help ensure seamless integration, operation, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, employs two-way encryption when engaging with with your connected components.
Request Your Own Lima Home Security System
Now that you have a greater understanding on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, it’s time to start on your own home defense system in Lima. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to create the right package for your property. Dial (419) 359-8743 or submit the form to get started.